Monday, April 4, 2011

A Community’s Lesson of Ability

Although my first experience at Stone Belt took place well before I started volunteering, I started my service learning experience without knowing what really to expect. At my initial introduction to Stone Belt as a service learner and volunteer, I meet with Gwyn (an ACE) and Amy (the Community Engagement Director). From the start, I was informed that the goals of Stone Belt revolved around creating an empowering environment to connect clients, volunteers and community. Stone Belt, I have observed, prides itself on giving individuals choice through opportunities in the areas of employment, relationship, recreation and more. Stone Belt Staff members seem to have this general understanding of Stone Belt Clients, that each person is a person first and each person has the ability to participate in a meaningful way. One of the most powerful things, upon working with Stone Belt, is learning to see the “ability of disability”. I learned this lesson of ability by working alongside Tasia, a long time client of Stone Belt.
After a brief introduction to Susan Ross, I met with Tasia for the first time. Before meeting Tasia, though, I was informed that she had seizures and that I should be aware of what this may look like, not to be afraid but to be prepared to inform staff. Right away, upon learning this, I felt connected to Tasia because my best friend had seizures often…although for different reasons. This connection was more of an observation because I began to observe just how alike I am to the clients around Stone Belt…something one may not see on initial contact.  Another factor, I was told that I wouldn’t have a hard time communicating with Tasia, that she could speak clearly. I hadn’t even met Tasia and yet I had a slight picture of who she might be. But again, I quickly realized I didn’t know what to expect from my experience!
          Once I finally met Tasia, I observed her wheel chair and helmet. Both were due to her seizers. Her wheelchair was not permanent and she used it only for a foot injury incurred during a seizure (currently she is out of the chair and traded her wheelchair for boots to secure her ankles). Her helmet, she wears daily, to prevent herself from potential injury.  Small, physical characteristics or “accessories/artifacts” were the things I noticed at first. I watched as many men and women, all of whom have some cognitive or physical disability, worked together in the Cook Medical area in Stone Belt. I guess I was surprised that everything was so organized, each person knew what he or she had to do and each had their own area of the room to get their work done.
            On my first day, I rolled Tasia to her locker, where a staff member (Jonathon) kept her numbers. See, Tasia keeps track of her work in a notebook. She “labels water tubes” and also puts the purple pieces around the tubes and each day has someone count how many she labels. The tubes, I’ve learned, are sizes 51 or 69. Further, though, it’s not these small details that I picked up that I find so interesting at Stone Belt and it’s not the new vocabulary either. Instead what I observe most at Stone Belt is community and understanding between clients.
For instance, that first day, I was reaching for Tasia’s lunch box and when I handed it to her, she dropped it and I thought something was wrong. Sure enough, another client quickly turned to say, “She’s having a seizure!” From this moment on, I began to see that the clients had grew together, worked together, and had learned about one another in many ways. Clients knew who was allergic to which foods in the break room, who was dating who, and who had to sit in a chair with arms, in case of seizures. The break room, where everyone ate lunch, is where I began to realize that Stone Belt offered a space for individuals with disabilities a place to be themselves…to be capable human beings, able to have everyday interactions.  Another example is when I met Jeff. He was excited to meet me, but more excited when Angel (another client) walked by. He quickly said, “We grew up together!” After they laughed together and repeated the saying, Jeff says,  “She is my boyfriend and I am going to marry her!” I smiled because she walked off in laughter…just friends sharing a moment. The community thriving in Stone Belt is stronger than many communities I interact with because it seems everyone is somehow in tune with the other. I have noticed how I can have a conversation with Tasia and others will chime in with the answers, as if we were having a group conversation. I have learned to not be surprised when others input their response from all the way across the room.
From simply interacting with Tasia, I have learned her favorite shows and foods. I have learned that she has accomplished many things, like being a long time horse rider with PALS. She’s shared about her family and her home life at Southern group home. I have met some of her house mates and heard about the pink decorations in her room. All in all, it’s the small details that make up this bigger lesson of community that I have been most inspired to pick up from Stone Belt. I am learning that Tasia’s ability to interact, or choose not too, are all apart of who she is as a person. She has choices and she gets to make them for herself. Tasia works 16 hours a week and takes part in activities like cooking dinners and doing art. Through the Stone Belt Community, she is connected to a Best Buddy and to numerous opportunities to participate in living; her way. Simply, from Stone Belt I have observed that the “ability of disability” lies within the community created through positive interaction and personal choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment