Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Dinner in the Life…

       Each week, as I work with Tasia on the purple tubes, she tells me about the dinner she had the night before. Tasia loves filling me in on her latest dish and desert, while then sharing about the movie she watched previously in Room 1. On this day, our conversation focused on stir fry and Komodo Dragons. As I listened, I wondered what it was like for her at home. Who was she outside of work?
       See, Tasia and I’s “dinner and a movie” conversations always seem to remind me of home. We both love home cooked meals! Without hesitation, I asked if I could join her for dinner sometime at Southern House, a group home served by Stone Belt. With a smile, she agreed.
       After a few emails and approval, I was headed to Tasia’s for dinner! On my way, I was a bit nervous and I only half way knew where I was going. Once I finally arrived to Southern House, I was greeted at the door by Betsy. From past conversations with Tasia, I had learned she has 5 roommates and I have met a few (including Betsy). Southern House was bigger than I expected, but right away I got a great sense of home comfort. There in the living room sat Val and Dixie. I was excited to realize just how many of Tasia’s roommates I had already met with at Stone Belt. The smell of home-made lasagna filled the air and Staff, Rose and Stephanie, welcomed me kindly. 
       My dinner experience with Tasia was important because I got to see into some of the stories she shared with me while with her at Stone Belt. I looked around at all the photos and awards on the wall and chatted with a few of the Staff members she always referred to. Tasia showed me her room, which she decorated herself. From the sea shells on her dresser, I learned she hopes to travel to collect sea shells along the way. It was through viewing the hand crafted art, the family photo album, and the horse decor that helped me gain a more well-rounded understanding of Tasia! Tasia is an accomplished rider with PALS, a loved family member with brothers, nieces, and pets, and also an artist who creates art of many colors!
       Although Tasia has only been at Southern House since around Christmas, her roommates and the staff were all in-tuned with Tasia’s character. Everyone was excited to share stories and show me their room. Angie, Tasia’s roommate, shared how she advocates for individuals with disabilities by traveling and giving speeches. Angie’s wheel chair doesn’t stop her from self-advocacy! I learned that Betsy is a member of a church choir and practices every week. Through fast facts like these, I saw Stone Belt in a new light because I realized how far reaching their mission is. Stone Belt truly empowers people! All in all, my visit at Southern House was more than dinner; instead my visit was an eye-opener! Not only did I get to spend time with Tasia, but I was given time to spend with her Stone Belt Family too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment